Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Clots, Clots and more clots....

So....things have been a little crazy over here lately. Last week my neck was hurting a lot right above my port, and I asked the radiation nurse about it and she thought maybe it was just muscular, like a stiff neck. Ok, so I thought I would give it more time, even though my port wasn't drawing my blood as well as it had been. Well, it kept getting worse. By Saturday morning, it was swollen, really painful and warm to the touch. I called the oncologists, medical and radiation, but of course, my doctors weren't on over the weekend. The 2 doctors I did talk to blew me off like it was no big deal. FRUSTRATING. So, I ended up going to the ER on Sunday morning, totally self-diagnosing myself with a clot in my jugular vein. Sure enough, after an ultrasound, there is a clot. BUT, they can't just take my port out because they don't want the clot to disslodge and go into my lung, which would be a major problem. So, the prescribed Lovenox shots for me to give to myself in my belly. Yippee. Well, things got worse this morning...I hardly slept last night because it hurt so bad, even after 2 pain pills. So, after radiation this morning, I called my medical oncologist (he's the one running the show on this) and he said that we need to take the port out soon, either today or tomorrow. So, I basically freaked out not knowing what to do with my kids and how to figure all of this out. (Things would have been a little bit easier if I hadn't lost my cell phone on monday....grr.) So, the surgeon called me and he wants to wait to take it out until Friday morning, since I have been on blood thinners, and they don't really want me bleeding a ton when they cut me open and take out the port. I was hoping we could take it out sooner because of the amount of pain this stupid thing is causing me. I am having trouble swallowing at times and can't really take care of the kids very well because I can't move my neck very well. I ended up having a CT this afternoon to make sure the swelling wasn't going to occlude my airway and to see if there was another mass growing, and the CT was fine in that regards. So, thankfully, the kids will be at a sitter tomorrow and I will have this thing taken out Friday morning. My radiation is on hold until Monday - I only have 3 more left, so now I'll be done on Wednesday. I am sooooo looking forward to being done with all of this! So, that's that. Just another bump in the road. God keeps poking me, testing me over and over again, and I can only get stronger because of it, right??

2 comments:

  1. yes, you will be stronger! Much stronger than so many! I hate that there is a bump in the road, but look at the positive...your port is coming out! Let me know how that goes so I know what to look forward to. And seriously, you will be AMAZED at how much energy you get back...even after just a few days out of radiation. Now your emotions on the other hand, I'm like a loose cannon, I'm more emotional than ever :) I think its just the excitement, yet uncertainty of the future that lies ahead. You're in my prayers Kara from Wisconsin :)
    Your fellow cancer (almost free!) buddy,
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kara, I just keep praying for you! Sorry you have another bump in the road. Hang in there!! Thinking of you :)
    Kathryn

    ReplyDelete